Who is Mary Beth Peil?
Mary Beth Peil is a soprano and actress from the United States. She was born on June 25, 1940, in Davenport, Iowa, USA.
|Full Name||Mary Beth Peil|
|Series Played||Jersey Girl (1992), Reckless (1995), Comfortably Numb (1995), Number One (1998), The Odd Couple II (1999), Advice from a Caterpillar (1999), The Stepford Wives (2004), Shortbus (20006), and many more.|
Birthday and Zodiac
|Age (As in 2021)||81 years old|
|Date of Birth||June 25, 1940|
|Birth Place||Davenport, Iowa, United States|
|Height||5 feet 5 inches (1.65 m)|
|Estimated Net Worth (As in 2021)||$2 million (approx.)|
Family and Relationship
|Husband||Jerry Kirkbride (Divorced 1993)|
Mary Beth Peil Biography TimeLine
Mary Beth Peil is a highly regarded American actress and singer with a career spanning over four decades. Born in 1940 in Davenport, Iowa, she began her career on Broadway in the 1960s, before transitioning to television and film in the 1980s. Peil is perhaps best known for her roles in the popular TV series Dawson’s Creek and The Good Wife. She has received critical acclaim for her work in theater, earning multiple Tony Award nominations for her performances. Peil continues to inspire and entertain audiences with her talent and dedication to her craft.
- June 25, 1940: Mary Beth Peil is born in Davenport, Iowa.
- 1962: Peil graduates from Northwestern University and moves to New York City to pursue a career in theater.
- 1964: Peil makes her Broadway debut in the production of “Here’s Love”.
- 1979: Peil earns critical acclaim for her performance in the Off-Broadway production of “The King and I”.
- 1985: Peil makes her feature film debut in “The Stuff” and also stars in the TV movie “The Bride in Black”.
- 1998: Peil joins the cast of the hit TV series “Dawson’s Creek” as Evelyn Ryan.
- 2001: Peil receives her first Tony Award nomination for her role in the Broadway production of “The Women”.
- 2009: Peil begins a recurring role on the hit TV series “The Good Wife”.
- 2012: Peil receives her second Tony Award nomination for her role in the Broadway production of “Follies”.
- 2016: Peil makes her return to television in the critically acclaimed series “The Family”.
- 2019: Peil is awarded the Elliot Norton Lifetime Achievement Award for her contributions to the Boston theater community.
- 2020: Peil appears in the Netflix series “Ozark” as Helen Pierce.
Peil was born in Davenport, Iowa, in 1940. She trained soprano under Lotte Lehmann at Northwestern University, where she performed her senior performance on April 9, 1962. Other significant professors in Peil’s growth at the university’s music department included Robert Gay, the opera program’s director, and Ewald Nolte. They taught music theory and composition classes and directed a university chorus in which Peil performed. In college, Peil was a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority.
In 1962, she debuted as an opera singer with the Goldovsky Opera Theater. She won two major singing competitions in 1964, the Young Concert Artists International Auditions and the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions. The latter won her a contract with the Metropolitan Opera National Company, with whom she toured as a leading soprano for two seasons from 1965 to 1967. Throughout the 1970s, she continued to perform in operas, most notably as Alma in Lee Hoiby’s Summer and Smoke, which made its world premiere at the Minnesota Opera in 1971. In 1982, she taped that part on American television.
She moved on to musical theatre with the same opera company, playing the lead part in Cole Porter’s Kiss Me, Kate in 1983. Later that year, she appeared as Anna Leonowens alongside Yul Brynner in the national tour of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s The King and I, which premiered on Broadway on January 7, 1985. Peil received a Tony Award for her performance.
Peil has been a theatre actor in musicals and plays since her Broadway debut. She was nominated for an Obie Award, a Drama Desk Award, a Helen Hayes Award, and two Outer Critics Circle Awards in addition to the Obie. In 2017, she got a second Tony nomination for Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna in Anastasia. She had her film debut in 1992 in a small role in the film Jersey Girl, and her first television appearance was in 1994 on the show Law & Order. In two television series, she is best recognized for her performances as Evelyn ‘Grams’ Ryan in Dawson’s Creek (1998–2003) and Jackie Florrick in The Good Wife (2009–2016). Peil is most known for her part as Jack Lemmon’s love interest in The Odd Couple II (1999) and cameos in The Stepford Wives, Flags of Our Fathers, Mirrors, Maladies and Collateral Beauty. Helen’s work in After Forever was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Performer in a Digital Drama Series in 2020.
In a 2019 interview with Opera News, Peil remarked, “The opera is huge and terrifying. You are always striving for excellence. Every time I sang in opera, I suppose I crossed my fingers. There are eight plays a week on Broadway, and there is no such thing as perfection. Every night, you strive to find something fresh and true, no matter how imperfect it is. Film and television are very personal mediums. You are interacting with one person rather than hundreds. It is more of a physical and psychological adjustment. The feelings are the same.”
- Jersey Girl (1992)
- Reckless (1995)
- Comfortably Numb (1995)
- Number One (1998)
- The Odd Couple II (1999)
- Advice from a Caterpillar (1999)
- The Stepford Wives (2004)
- Shortbus (2006)
- The Caretakers (2006)
- Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
- The List (2007)
- Old Days (2008)
- Mirrors (2008)
- The Locksmith (2010)
- Small, Beautifully Moving Parts
- Maladies (2012)
- Contest (2013)
- Collateral Beauty (2016)
- The Song of Sway Lake (2017)
- Here and Now (2018)
Height, weight, measurements
Peil height is 5 feet 5 inches (1.65 m), and he weighs 60 kg. Likewise, her body measurements are 34-26-35. Bishop’s hair colour is white, and his eyes are black.
Peil marital status is divorced.
Peil is a wealthy model who is also one of the most popular. Peil net worth is estimated to be at $2 million, based on our research.
Did you know?
- Davenport is where Mary Beth Peil was born.
- Her zodiac sign is Cancer.
- She is an actress who has appeared in films such as Mirrors (2008), The Stepford Wives (2004), and Dawson’s Creek (1998).
- She is also a skilled vocalist who featured on Broadway in a production of “The King and I,” She received a Tony Award nomination for Best Actress (Featured Role – Musical) in 1985. source: IMDb
- In 2006, she was nominated for a Joseph Jefferson Award for Solo Work for her performance in “M. Proust” at Chicago’s About Face Theatre.
- In 2021, she starred as Marta Graham in “Halston,” with Rory Culkin and Rebecca Dayan in essential roles.