Who is Roshan Seth?
Roshan Seth OBE, a British-Indian actor, dramatist, and theatre director, was born on April 2, 1942, and has worked in the United Kingdom, the United States, and India. He began his acting career in the UK in the early 1960s but departed after a decade to work as a journalist in India. Roshan’s age is 79.
Roshan Seth is an English-Indian actor who primarily acts in British and American films. He has won a Genie Award and has been nominated for a BAFTA Award. Gandhi, Mississippi Masala, Not Without My Daughter, My Beautiful Laundrette, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Such a Long Journey are his most well-known films.
Seth, the son of a biochemistry professor, was born in Patna, India. He received his education at The Doon School, then went to St Stephen’s College for his bachelor’s degree in history and the Shakespeare Society to develop his theatrical skills before moving to the United Kingdom for additional study. In British repertory theatre, he went to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Roshan portrayed the role of Dhalsim in Streetfighter.
|Full Name||Roshan Seth|
|Profession||Actor, writer and theatre director|
|Series Played||Street Fighter |
Not Without my daughter
Birthday and Zodiac
|Age (As in 2021)||79 years old|
|Date of Birth||2 April 1942|
|Birth Place||Patna, Bihar, British India|
|School/University||The Doon School|
St. Stephen’s College
|Estimated Net Worth (As in 2021)||$1.5 million|
Family and Relationship
|Wife/Girlfriend||div. Pepita Seth|
Roshan Seth Biography TimeLine
Roshan Seth is an Indian-born British actor and writer known for his impressive performances in films, television, and stage productions. He was born on April 2, 1942, in Patna, Bihar, India. Seth began his acting career in the late 1960s, working primarily in British theatre productions before making his way to the silver screen. He has appeared in numerous films, including the Academy Award-winning movie “Gandhi” (1982) and “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” (1984). His performances have captivated audiences around the world and continue to inspire generations of actors and artists. His remarkable performances have earned him recognition and accolades throughout his career.
- 1967: Graduated from the National School of Drama in New Delhi.
- 1973: Appeared in his first major film, “The Wilby Conspiracy”.
- 1975: Acted in the stage production of “A Passage to India” at the Aldwych Theatre in London.
- 1976: Portrayed Nehru in the television film “Gandhi’s Early Years”.
- 1977: Played the role of Dr. Aziz in David Lean’s “A Passage to India”.
- 1982: Starred in the Academy Award-winning film “Gandhi”.
- 1984: Played the character of Chattar Lal in “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”.
- 1986: Acted in the film “My Beautiful Laundrette” directed by Stephen Frears.
- 1989: Portrayed the character of Jawaharlal Nehru in the television film “Mountbatten: The Last Viceroy”.
- 1990: Acted in the film “Such a Long Journey” based on the novel by Rohinton Mistry.
- 1991: Played the character of Pandit Baba in the film “Mississippi Masala”.
- 1996: Acted in the film “The Journey” directed by Harish Saluja.
- 1998: Starred in the film “Such a Long Journey”, based on the novel by Rohinton Mistry.
- 2002: Acted in the film “The Mystic Masseur” directed by Ismail Merchant.
- 2003: Played the character of Mr. Sen in the film “The Emperor’s Club”.
- 2004: Acted in the television series “Hustle”.
- 2005: Portrayed the character of Mr. Jadhu in the film “The Great New Wonderful”.
- 2008: Played the character of Dr. Raghava in the film “Mumbai Meri Jaan”.
- 2013: Played the character of Dr. Suresh Gupta in the film “Vishwaroopam”.
- 2017: Acted in the film “Viceroy’s House”.
- 2019: Portrayed the character of Vijay in the film “A Suitable Boy” based on the novel by Vikram Seth.
Is Roshan Seth Married?
Seth was married to author Pepita Seth from the late 1980s until their divorce in 2004.
Roshan Seth TV Shows and Movies
Seth got his first chance in Peter Brook’s touring production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream in 1972. Seth first featured in films with Richard Lester’s Juggernaut (1974), but his career was stalled abruptly because subsequent filmmakers only wanted Seth for ethnic roles. Disappointed, he quit acting and returned to India, where he worked as an editor and journalist until Richard Attenborough approached him to play Jawaharlal Nehru in Gandhi in the early 1980s (1982).
Seth’s work in the film earned him a BAFTA nomination for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. Seth also starred as Indian novelist Victor Mehta in David Hare’s biographical play A Map of the World in 1982, which toured Australia, London, and New York for several years. After the release of the multi-award-winning film Gandhi (1982), Seth was in high demand, and when A Map of the World’s Broadway run ended, his film career took off.
Seth also starred as Indian novelist Victor Mehta in David Hare’s biographical play A Map of the World, which toured Australia, London, and New York for several years. After the release of the multi-award-winning film Gandhi (1982), Seth was in high demand, and when A Map of the World’s Broadway run ended, his movie career took off. In 1984, he starred in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and David Lean’s A Passage to India, among other films.
He starred in My Beautiful Laundrette (1985) and Little Dorrit as Pancks (1988). Not Without My Daughter (1991), Mississippi Masala (1991), Street Fighter (1994), and Harish Saluja’s The Journey were among Seth’s cinematic roles in the 1990s (1997). Roshan Seth was nominated for a Royal Television Society award for “Best Actor – Male” in 1993 for his work as Haroon Amir in the television miniseries “The Buddha of Suburbia. He got the “Best Actor” award at the Sochi International Film Festival in 1995 for his performance as Baba in Flight.
In 1998, he won the Genie Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role for his performance as Gustad Noble in the film Such a Long Journey. Seth made his cinematic debut in Monsoon Wedding in 2001, and he has since continued to work steadily in both British and American films. In 2003, he starred in the American film Cosmopolitan, televised on PBS across the country. With his strong performance in the famous 2007 film Guru, he has recently returned to mainstream Indian commercial cinema.
Roshan Seth Net Worth and Salary
Roshan Seth has done excellent work in this field, and his net worth is $1.5 million.
Did you know?
- Roshan’s age is 79.
- His net worth is $1.5 million.
- Some of his works are Street Fighter, 7 Days, Not without my daughter, etc.
- Roshan portrayed the role of Dhalsim in Streetfighter.