Who is Tantoo Cardinal?
Rose Marie Cardinal, way better known as Tantoo Cardinal, is a Canadian actress, who has played roles in several films, and television series. She is popular worldwide in famous movies such as Dances with Wolves, Black Robe, and Smoke Signals. Tantoo is a beautiful and talented actress and has also received several honours throughout her acting career.
She has received many awards such as Gemini Award, a Canadian Screen Award for Lifetime Achievement, and a National Aboriginal Achievement Award. Moreover, Tantoo Cardinal is also a member of the order of Canada. Furthermore, she became a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2018.
|Full Name||Rose Marie Cardinal|
|Series Played||Wind River, Falla Around Her, Hold the Dark and Red Snow|
Birthday and Zodiac
|Age (As in 2021)||71 years old|
|Date of Birth||July 20, 1950|
|Birth Place||Anzac, Alberta|
|Height||5 feet 5 inches|
|Estimated Net Worth (As in 2021)||$3 million|
Family and Relationship
|Husband||John Lawlor (m. 1988–2000), Fred Martin (m. 1968–1976)|
|Children||Cheyenne Martin, Clifford Cardinal|
Tantoo Cardinal Biography TimeLine
Tantoo Cardinal is a Canadian actress, activist, and filmmaker of Métis and Cree descent. Born on July 20, 1950, in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada, she has become one of the most prominent Indigenous performers of her generation. Cardinal has appeared in over 120 film and television productions throughout her career and has received numerous awards and honors for her contributions to the industry. Throughout her career, Tantoo Cardinal has been a vocal advocate for Indigenous rights and environmental.
- 1960s: Tantoo Cardinal grows up in Northern Alberta and attends a residential school in High Prairie, where she learns English for the first time.
- 1970s: Cardinal attends the University of Alberta in Edmonton and becomes involved in the Indian rights movement.
- 1971: Cardinal makes her screen debut in the CBC television series “Wojeck.”
- 1976: Cardinal appears in her first feature film, “Lies My Father Told Me,” directed by Ján Kadár.
- 1978: Cardinal portrays a Native woman who is raped and murdered in the landmark film “L’Affaire Coffin” (The Coffin Affair), directed by Jean-Claude Labrecque.
- 1981: Cardinal appears in “Drying Up the Streets,” a film about street gangs in Toronto.
- 1983: Cardinal stars in “Loyalties,” a CBC television drama about a Native woman who gives birth to a white child.
- 1987: Cardinal appears in “Lana’s Rain,” a film about a young girl’s coming of age in Northern Ontario.
- 1990: Cardinal stars in the film “Dances with Wolves,” directed by Kevin Costner.
- 1992: Cardinal appears in the television movie “By Way of the Stars,” a Canadian-German co-production set in the 19th century.
- 1995: Cardinal stars in the film “Silent Tongue,” directed by Sam Shepard.
- 1997: Cardinal portrays the mother of the title character in “Smoke Signals,” the first feature film written, directed, and co-produced by Native Americans.
- 2001: Cardinal appears in the television series “The Lone Gunmen,” a spin-off of “The X-Files.”
- 2003: Cardinal stars in “Unnatural & Accidental,” a film based on the play by Marie Clements.
- 2007: Cardinal appears in “Mothers & Daughters,” a film about the relationships between women.
- 2009: Cardinal stars in “Maina,” a film about a young Inuk girl who travels to the city to attend school.
- 2010: Cardinal receives the Governor General’s Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Artistic Achievement, one of Canada’s highest honors.
- 2012: Cardinal appears in “Blackstone,” a Canadian television series about life on a First Nations reserve.
- 2014: Cardinal receives a Gemini Award for her performance in “Mohawk Girls,” a comedy-drama series about four Indigenous women in their twenties.
- 2017: Cardinal stars in “The Grizzlies,” a film based on the true story of a lacrosse team in Nunavut.
- 2019: Cardinal appears in the television series “Anne with an E,” a Netflix adaptation of the classic novel “Anne of Green Gables.”
- 2021: Cardinal is honored with the Earle Grey Award at the Canadian Screen Awards for her contributions to Canadian television.
- 2021: Cardinal appears in “Beans,” a film about the 1990 Oka Crisis, directed by Tracey Deer.
Born on July 20, 1950, Tantoo Cardinal was born the youngest of three children to Julia Cardinal. Tantoo grew up in the hamlet of Anzac, Alberta. She was from a rural place, so lack of electricity motivated her to use her imagination while playing in the bush. Her nickname ‘Tantoo’ was given by her grandmother. Cardinal learned the traditional ways of their culture from her grandmother. Cardinal’s grandmother supported her in every phase of her life, and she was also the inspiration behind her success in her acting career.
Tantoo Cardinal began her acting career in a biopic, ‘Marie-Anne’, which was about Marie-Ann Lagimodiere, the first European woman to settle in Western Canada, released in 1978. Cardinal also worked in the Canadian-British film ‘Loyalties’, directed by Anne Wheeler. Moreover, Cardinal’s outstanding performance in the role of Rosanne Ladouceur won her the Genie Award for Best Performance in a Leading Role.
She first appeared in TV series in 1984, with a role in ‘Spirit Bay’. Furthermore, she made her appearance in several films, including Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge, Black Robe, Lightning Field, Dance with Wolves, Spirit Rider and many others.
Recently she has worked in many movies such as Wind River, Falla Around Her, Hold the Dark and Red Snow. She is an outstanding actress, and she has reached this level because of her talent and hard work. Today’s generation who wish to build their career as an actor can learn many things from her.
Tantoo Cardinal was born and raised in Anzac, Alberta, as the youngest of the three children. Tantoo’s father left the family when she was at a very young age. After some time, her mother, Julia Cardinal, also took her last breath. So, her grandmother raised her since her childhood.
Tantoo Cardinal was previously married twice. She tied the knot with Fred Martin in 1968, but they separated just a few years later. She has a son, Cheyenne, which she shared with her husband, Fred. Later in 1988, she got married to John Lawlor, with whom she shared a daughter named Riel. But again, she got separated in 2000. She was also involved in a relationship with actor Beaver Richards. They have one child named Clifford.
Height, Weight and Body Measurement
There is not much information regarding Cardinal’s physical appearance. Her actual body measurement has still not been revealed yet. However, according to some trusted online sources, we found that Cardinal stands at the height of 5 feet 5 inches. Despite her old age, she is fit and healthy.
Net Worth and Social Media
Tantoo Cardinal is a successful actress and has earned immense popularity and wealth throughout her career. She makes mainly from acting in movies and TV shows. Tantoo has not revealed her actual net worth, but by looking at her successful career, we can assume that she might be the owner of around $3 million.
Unlike other celebrities, Tantoo Cardinal is very active on social media platforms. We can find her on both Instagram and Twitter under the username @tantoocardinal and @tantooC, respectively.
Did you know?
- Rose Marie Cardinal, better known as Tantoo Cardinal, is a Canadian actress who has played roles in several movies and TV shows.
- Tantoo Cardinal is famous for playing roles in Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge, Black Robe, Lightning Field, Dance with Wolves, Spirit Rider and many others.
- She has a son, Cheyenne, which she shared with her husband, Fred.
- We can find her on both Instagram and Twitter under the username @tantoocardinal and @tantooC, respectively.
- Tantoo Cardinal became a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2018.
- Cardinal’s grandmother supported her in every phase of her life, and she was also the inspiration behind her success in her acting career.